Monday, December 18, 2017

And it don't seem a day too much...

Fifty years ago today - 18 December, 1967 - when I was 17 and the future Mr Life was 19 - we went to my school dance. I was at a girls' school, so we had to ask boys as partners who (obviously) didn't go to the school. I knew and rather liked Mr L - but didn't at that point have it in mind to marry him. You don't think that far ahead when you're 17. Or at least, I didn't. However, he then asked me out and... fifty years later, here we are. I can't believe it's been that long. I don't feel nearly old enough.




So today we went out for lunch in South Queensferry. That black house is for some reason known as Black Castle and was built in 1626. Oh, I've just looked it up and it has horrible associations with witchcraft - the sister-in-law of the owner of it confessed to being a witch and was burned at the stake in 1643. How dreadful. And her husband had to pay for her burning and that of her supposed accomplice, which made him bankrupt. The owner's sister suffered the same fate. Goodness me. Anyway, this may be why it's black. Also it was once owned by a coal merchant - a rather more ordinary possible explanation.





South Queensferry is a pretty little town, as I've mentioned before.



It's built beside the famous (in Britain, anyway) Forth Rail Bridge (above)



and the road bridge (above) and more or less brand new other road bridge, which you can vaguely see behind it.


We sat looking out at these (from inside; this is December) as we had our lunch and compared our memories of that significant (as it turned out) evening in 1967.





Then we came home to find a beautiful bouquet and chocolates from our children. Indeed, if I hadn't asked him to my school dance... who knows? - they might never have been born.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations and it is amazing how fast 50 years can go. I was 16 when I saw Mac for the first time across the patio at school. I had no thoughts of marriage, but I definitely wanted to meet him. We've been married 52 years and I too made the first move to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 50 years! Congrats on meeting him, and your lovely life together. This NYE, it would be 38 years since I met my late husband. sigh. I don't feel that old either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.
    When you do find the right one, you do know..even if, as in our case, we've made mistakes before! You're very fortunate to have got it right first time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. 47 years since my husband walked in through the back door into the kitchen of the place I was working as an assistant housemother. Hair down past his shoulders, and a fringe that met the top of his trendy black-framed glasses. Didn't immediately strike me as the man I would marry, but we've managed 42+ years so far.
    What if the organisation had held to their original plan to send me to another house, or he hadn't taken a temporary teaching job? Would I now be married to the rather dishy housemaster in Bangor? It's an amusing thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met my late husband 45 years ago, but we were both rather late bloomers, 27 at that point. We had 35 years together and they were wonderful years until he became ill. And we have three wonderful children and four wonderful grandchildren. Life is such a blessing. I congratulate the two of you on having the wisdom to see the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:28 pm

    Congratulations to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done! I can believe it is that long because this Saturday 23rd we will have been married for 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you and Mr Life. I just did the math, and realise to my astonishment that it is 45 years since my husband walked in to our dining room on his first night as our new student lodger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam
    Since you were the last to comment on my (now closed) blog, way back in April, I thought I would look you up at random and see, to my delight, you still blog.

    It so happens that your last post is dated 18.12.17 - my 79 birthday, so I thought a comment would be in order. Well done for your 50 years together. Margaret and I have managed 58 years of married life and knew each other since we were both 14. So fate must take a hand in these moments!

    I wish you both well.

    Mike (avus)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. greetings to you and yours, Avus

      Delete