Thursday, September 08, 2016

Quilt number 5


Granddaughter decided to dress up as a cowgirl. I have no idea what she thinks a cowgirl is, but possibly a girl who sits on a cow. With a sword.



Then she dressed her cow as a ... cowcow?



I've finished the quilt for Son and Daughter-in-Law that I was in the middle of making when I decided to make one for my piano teacher. This one has more bits than I've ever attempted before: 660 or so. Some unpicking took place during the making of the quilt top but I got there in the end, with the corners meeting fairly well. Son and DIL chose most of the patterned fabrics from my stash and then, since these didn't really go with each other, I chose the self-coloured ones to - or this was the hope - tie the whole thing together. The pink fabric in the middle is part of a napkin that my mother used a lot (or at least, this is an unused napkin from my mother's set. I was touched when Son said, "Oh, we've got to have that.") The general theme of the quilt is nature: cats, mushrooms, insects, sheep, flowers etc. Especially cats.



It's hand-quilted, in an amateurish way. I don't think I'll ever machine quilt. That would be a very fast way of getting it wrong and engendering lots of unpicking.



Don't look too closely, Thimbleanna, but do you see at least one fabric that you gave me?



Now Mr L wants a steam-engine-themed quilt. I have some fabrics but haven't really yet thought what to do. Such fun! Such a waste of time! Thanks, Anna, for getting me into this!



12 comments:

  1. Quilting making tends to become a habit. Machine quilting is scary--and a mere experiment can mean a great many stitches to pick!
    I think you've created a piece to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your quilt prowess! I'm not a bit crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hugely impressed Isabelle! There is absolutely nothing wrong with hand quilting. "Amateurish" never applies but "stitched with love" always does! Not to mention that machine quilting scares me enough that, if some is needed, I'm willing to pay someone more expert than me to do it. I'm sure it will be treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think that's splendid - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For someone who said or thought they would never be a quilter you are doing pretty well!
    Mr. L deserves a quilt. Then perhaps one for the sofa that all the grand kids can use to make a house with with or snuggle under....there are lots of future possibilities.
    By the way hand quilting using quite large stitches often in embroidery thread is all the rage, so you are also trendy. As long as you are enjoying the process keep at it.
    I hope school is going well for little N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing that provides that much fun and satisfaction is a waste of time. (Because if that were true, lying around and reading books would be a waste of time and that doesn't bear thinking about)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear -- I fear I have more work to do on your indoctrination. You actually said waste of time in the same sentence with quilting! As they say ... The Shock! The Horror!!! LOL. Look how PRODUCTIVELY you've spent your time!!!! I'm so impressed that you're hand quilting all these quilts. I love the block pattern that you've used on this one too -- Well Done Pam!!! (And aren't your little Cowgirl and her Cowcow adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your darling granddaughter and her cow cow made me remember my own cowgirl days in the late '40s and early '50s! Fun memories...Every quilt you make is more interesting than the one before. What a splendid use of your time! I look forward to seeing the steam themed quilt for Mr. L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am full of admiration. This looks very complicated. I like the kitten corners. A steam engine theme sounds like quite a challenge but I am sure you will rise to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How convenient that you married such a tall quilt model! The quilt so lovely, Mum, I'm very impressed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is lovely, and you should be very pleased with the excellent use of your time... for a useful item that is lovely to look at and fosters memories. Exactly what a quilt should do!
    Now, the steam engine idea.... instead of trying to collect fabrics in the theme (might be tricky), why not try a design that looks like an aspect of a steam engine? Like a full front portrait? Coming right at you? or a landscape quilt with a steam engine going through it? Sounds interesting to me! I wonder if you can direct me to a shop in Edinburgh where I could buy some quilt fabric? I'll buy a piece or two to make a commemorative quilt of our trip!

    ReplyDelete