Saturday, June 25, 2016

The good and the bad




It's been an eventful and not altogether wonderful week. However, on Wednesday we took the little ones to the beach. I don't know how many visitors to Edinburgh realise that we're a seaside city. We ourselves went to Barcelona for four days without ever seeing their seaside.



They had a lovely time. It's amazing what a difference 19 months makes to their artistic ability.



The face on the left represents Grandson's mum; he's on the right. She's sad because "it's not her birthday for a long time. I'm happy because my birthday is very soon". I think he wanted to make sure we weren't forgetting... .




The tide was quite far out, though coming in - Cramond Island, peeping out from behind the trees, is not an island only at low tide. You can see it at low tide in the first picture - it's on the horizon in the middle. From time to time, people walk out to it and then get stuck there when the tide comes in. I'd like to point out that the stout lady in white isn't me.


And then on Thursday, there was this. The Scotsman took a gamble on the result and got it wrong. There is much consternation among everyone we know. Most Scottish people voted to remain in the EU. Now the Scottish Parliament has decided on another referendum for Scottish independence because Scots are being forced out of the EU by the English vote. I can hardly bear this.


I really don't think that complicated things ought to be decided by referendums (referenda, I suppose). Most people, and I include myself, don't know enough to make a sensible decision. Goodness me, those who're supposedly experts disagreed about the right answers, so what hope do the rest of us have?



However, to return to trivialities, I've finished the quilt that I'm about to give to my piano teacher as a thank you present. She might prefer a bunch of flowers... .



After four and a half years of lessons, I've decided to give up - not playing, just lessons. I quite enjoy stumbling through the pieces in the privacy of my own sitting room and feel that I've used up my quota of saying "I can play this at home!" as I mess my latest tune up in front of her. Also, I keep having to miss lessons because we tend to go away in term time rather than the school holidays, which are also piano holidays.



She's absolutely lovely and very encouraging and I shall miss her. So I made her this quilt, which is very simple (like my piano playing) and yet required quite a lot of work (like my piano playing). I'm ashamed to say that the only fabric that I had to buy specially was the one with the treble clefs on it. All the rest was from my stash and it didn't make a noticeable dent in it. It's all your fault, Thimbleanna!


This was the quilt I made for Daughter 2 last year. You can see the resemblance - mainly because quite a few of the fabrics are the same.


And, for further comfort, the garden is looking very flowery.








Big sigh. Let's hope everything isn't going to be as bad as everyone predicts.

17 comments:

  1. Well done with the quilt. I think she will like it. Your garden is looking fabulous!
    5 years ago we were on UK soil at this time of the year, the weather was fabulous and things were calm.....unlike at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers and seaside are most welcome. It's been a terrible, terrible week. Being half-French and with a sister very active in the SNP as well as living mostly in Greece just now, we are filled with complex emotions, overlaid with grief and bewilderment. When it feels too much, I think about earlier generations, who had to hear and accept that Britain was going to war with Germany - how much worse must that have felt to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely quilt, I'm sure she will be thrilled with it. Still can't quite get my head around the fact they actually voted to leave. Sometimes, if politicians would listen, things like this could be avoided. I hope it doesn't get Trump elected here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How talented you are Pam...the quilt is lovely and the garden a treat. How lucky you are to live so close to the beach too. We are sick about the referendum result...what has happened to the world? We must just focus on the good things in life and these days of being with your grandchildren must be so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone in feeling sick at heart.
    Your garden is beautiful and you have made such a lovely quilt for your piano teacher. Libby is right. We have to focus on the good things, but it seems hard just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, commiseration is cold comfort but better than none.

    Quilts, garden, views and grandchildren all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt, Pam. Very sad and disappointed here
    We,and everyone we know of all ages, voted Remain but we are now seeing social media posts decrying over 50s for ruining the lives of the young and worse (Some posts saying over 65s should not be allowed to vote and lots of comment anti baby boomers who are apparently selfish. Perhaps we'd better take our Scottish surname and move north before we need a passport and permits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt, lovely garden in a not lovely week. I haven't met anyone happy about the result and many who like me who felt the question should never have been asked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is beautiful as are the flowers. We have to find consolation where we can, I suppose. I was shocked by the vote results too, and am concerned about the ramifications.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your piano teacher will be THRILLED with that quilt! If she isn't, feel free to send it to me. I promise not to teach you any piano lessons. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh well done on the quilt, my goodness, Pam, you did a super job. The garden is gorgeous, too. Mm, I am watching with great sadness from three thousand miles away, the whole sorry affair. I would, and the World Traveller, have been in the Remain camp, though would like to have seen a bit of tidying up of the EU, it's a bit overweight in various ways. Annoyingly, we could have voted, sincewe have lived the the UK in the last fifteen years :( Never thought to find out out, drat it. Agree about sensible decisions as evidenced by the number of people who googled what it would actually mean to leave, AFTER the vote. Oy vey! Well, the Lund is back up, so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lund? That was supposed to be pound! And oh my word, Janet, so do I..........and he's half Scottish too .........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chin Up Buttercup! Things will get better! These things are always just little burps in time. What a lovely post though. Your quilt is beautiful! You're getting rather a lot of quilts on your resume now -- Yay!!! Your piano teacher will love it. You made me laugh about not making a dent in your stash. If you ever come to visit, I'm locking my basement aa you're not allowed to see my stash -- it's awful! Love Love your flowers -- is this the most beautiful time in your garden? Actually, you've done such a masterful job of planting, all seasons are beautiful! I sure wish you'd come and sort out my little patch. I planted some annuals last year and they're not doing very well. I just don't have your green thumb. Well, that, and I also have bunnies and chipmunks who are eating the asters and bee balm. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a beautiful quilt - and no need to feel ashamed for using up scraps to create another masterpiece!
    I send my condolences for the disastrous referendum vote. And, yes, it should be referenda. Hearing so many referendums is so grating to my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You said "return to trivialities", but, honestly, I think these things you have accomplished just may be the only things that AREN'T trivial. No less an achievement than all the foolishness of polarized politics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You said "return to trivialities", but, honestly, I think these things you have accomplished just may be the only things that AREN'T trivial. No less an achievement than all the foolishness of polarized politics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both your quilt and your garden are just lovely! You have a very good eye for color and pattern. Never mind about the piano lessons.... I'm sure you got good value for them, but the stress of playing in front of people ( your teacher, and you probably had to do recitals, as well?) is not your thing. Just enjoy playing on your own. That is what I do with my harp.

    ReplyDelete