Friday, January 02, 2015

Makes our feet and fingers glow


Well, hello 2015. That was a quick year. My brother, sister-in-law, Mr L and I brought the New Year in with friends, which was nice. We were having a quiz and hardly noticed the old year ending, which prevented me from glooming about the past and worrying about the future. So that was good for everyone (including the readers of this blog). Then yesterday the other grandparents came for a meal with Daughter 1, Son-in-Law 1 and the babies, which was also nice, and then today my brother and his wife went back down south. So now it's just us again.

"Let's go for a walk in the Botanics while the sun's shining," I suggested. So we did. Except that by the time we got out of the car, the wind had got up and was chucking sleet into our faces. Still, we're Scottish and not discouraged by a little weather, so we marched briskly round the empty gardens.

I felt sorry for various foreigners who were cowering in the shop and the cafe. Presumably someone had told them that Edinburgh's fun at Hogmanay. And it probably is. But it's more reliably fun in the summer, in my opinion.


There wasn't a lot blooming, but these hellebores were doing their best to be cheerful.



And look! - snowdrops are coming out.


Back in our porch, cyclamen, daffodils and more hellebores reminded us again that spring is on the way. Just not quite yet.

Happy New Year to all bloggy friends. I hope it's a good one for you all.

4 comments:

  1. Isabelle. Edinburgh is fun ANY time of the year -- have I taught you nothing LOL? And, you are an entertaining machine. I'll bet you're worn out. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and can get some rest. After all ... there is quilting to be done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and yours too. I'm glad to hear spring is on it's way. That means autumn for us and the end to disgusting overheated summer. (It's 42/105 here today bah!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:42 pm

    Your porch flowers look lovely.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could snap my fingers and be anywhere in the world, it would always be Scotland. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete