Monday, June 23, 2014

Cassie Cat likes it



I've finished the baby quilt top. It was a kit (given to me kindly by my quilting guru, Thimbleanna - http://thimbleanna.com/ ). This made it easier from the point of view of choosing the materials - they were all provided, as were somewhat gnomic instructions. On the other hand, I had to do the cutting out and when at one point I got this slightly wrong, I panicked in case there wasn't going to be enough material to finish it. However, the suppliers of the kit had kindly allowed a bit of spare for idiots.

I did struggle to get all the corners perfect(ish) but just resorted to ripping out and redoing on occasion. Several occasions. In fact, quite a lot. I'm sure Thimbleanna doesn't have to do this.

Yesterday there was an interview on the radio with David Blunkett (politician) and he said that he was "extremely proud" of various bits of legislation he'd got through. It made me think: have I ever done anything that I'm extremely proud of? Hmm. No. Well, there are the children, but I wouldn't claim to have "done" them. However, I'm quite pleased with the quilt top. Now I get to (hand) quilt it, which I enjoyed doing the last time. (My sewing machine and I are not best buddies. We maintain a grudging relationship.)

The quilt is not destined for any particular baby. Maybe I'll have to keep it for the first great-grandchild - whom I don't expect ever to meet, alas. But the relevant parent can tell her (I think it has to be for a girl, though possibly pink may have become totally acceptable for boys by then) that her ancient great-granny made it with love. And a certain amount of unpicking.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:18 am

    Your quilt top looks very good, I don't have the patience to do patchwork.

    Originally, pink was for boys but I can't recall how long ago that was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done......that is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a really good job there. I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

    I think it would be difficult for most of us to identify something we're extremely proud of. As you say, maybe it is more about feeling satisfied with what we've achieved or completed or overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very charming! You should be extremely proud of this, I believe. You had to persevere through all that unpicking and redoing and you did! You've now made two quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been gone for four days and I return to find THIS! WOOHOO!!! It looks GREAT Isabelle! I wish I could tell you that I never have to unpick, but sadly, I have to do it all the time. I consider it part of quilting. And there is a law -- the tighter your deadline (if you need it for a gift, etc.), the more unpicking you will end up doing.

    I LOVE it! Congratulations on your great finish. Are you already thinking ahead to the next project? Or will you wait until the quilting is done??? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What patience you have! The finished quilt is so fresh and pretty. Maybe another little granddaughter will arrive in time for you to see the quilt being used and loved?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. It looks good.
    I am having the same problem with only one blog showing instead of all of them. so infuriating. How enraging. what do they think they are doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's only your 2nd quilt. I hope you enjoyed making it?
    Well done for getting that far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly something to be proud of...well done. Perhaps your years of teaching is something you should pat yourself on the back for Isabelle? and maybe a new baby is going to enter your life without plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unpick?? Gosh no. I should give you some tips on hiding your mistakes - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the quilt is lovely! This is one of my favorite patterns, and I have made a couple of baby quilts out of this one. Your hand quilting will show beautifully on the open squares. I have not hand quilted for quite a while.... Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete