Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thirty years on...


When looking for pictures of Daughter 2 in the made-over dress, I also found these and am posting them partly to remind myself that I did once make things. This picture is of the daughters when Daughter 1 was about to go to nursery, aged three. I bought this very boring overall as specified by the nursery, but then appliquéd the doll on to it. (It was usually on the back, not the front as here for photo purposes.) I also made the shoe bag and added the cat - there was another, different, cat on the reverse of the bag. Such artistry.


It seems no time ago.


Daughter 2 in the first picture is wearing a dress that's clearly too small for her. Sorry. Neglectful parent. That dress was also made by my mother-in-law but I didn't keep it so we'll never know how well it would have fitted Granddaughter.

I'm hand-quilting my quilt, instructed over the ether by Thimbleanna. I would have started earlier but she told me (correctly) that the thread I'd bought wasn't thick enough, so I had to send for DMC Perle thread, which is working well. Don't hold your breath, though. Fortunately there's some red in the pattern on the back, which should disguise the bloodstains caused by stabbing my finger.

7 comments:

  1. Loving, loving, loving these beautiful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your daughters were gorgeous children, and your grandson looks exactly like his mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, Anna, hope you're feeling really guilty that Isabelle is bleeding to death in Scotland!

    Lovely pictures, can't get over how much like the Perth doctor Mr Life was (at the same age?) in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, we don't see Son as in the least like his dad. In fact, if I hadn't been sure myself... . He's much more like my brother was at that age. However, maybe we're missing something.

    Nor do we see Grandson as like his mum. He's much more like our son at that age. Or, that's what we think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos, Isabelle. Strange how we perceive family likeness. Everyone says Grand-daughter looks like her father and an older cousin, but she has many expressions that are pure Daughter at the same age, although she is unlike her in colouring. I suppose that's because I can remember her baby self.
    When I went to nursery we were given flowered overals with a badge that matched a coat peg. Mine was a frog and I felt very hard done by as most of the other girls got ballerinas and bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying these photos, as well. So fun to see your children as children. And, wow! I didn't realize quilting is so dangerous. I don't know if I'm brave enough for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, look at those beautiful little girls! How fun to see your earlier projects. And tell Gillie that I DO indeed feel guilty that you're bleeding to death -- but you should both be comforted in the fact that I have the same problem here. It's a quilter's right of passage -- or some rubbish like that. Keep plodding along -- I can't wait to see the quilt!

    ReplyDelete