Wednesday, October 09, 2013
Well, I've now made the quilt top, all 221 squares. The colours are slightly brighter than they look in these photos. I'm pleased to have done it; on the other hand, some of my squares don't meet quite correctly corner to corner, which is annoying, since I felt I was measuring and sewing quite carefully. Not carefully enough, clearly.
I've been modelling my effort on the lovely blue quilt that Anna http://thimbleanna.com/ gave me. WWAD? (What Would Anna Do?) has been my watchword. (Anna would make all her squares meet perfectly in the corners, is one answer.) Mysteriously my quilt top has come out slightly bigger than hers - maybe inches in America are a different size from British inches - you think? Or possibly she measured more accurately than I did - see above.
Anyway, I now have to get yet more material for the binding and the back and then sew these together and quilt it. In the last procedure I'm going to follow the WWAD line of thinking, and fortunately Anna hand-quilted the blue quilt in overlapping circles, which looks time-consuming but possible. I think my machine would explode in flames if I suggested that it sew through seams and batting and backing. And I really don't want to ruin the whole thing by messing up the quilting.
Anyway, thank you to Anna for forcing me to do this! I enjoyed it (mostly) and am now thinking perhaps I should try something a teeny bit more complicated next... but I'm not sure about this. Perhaps I should recognise my limitations. Thank you also, Anna, for telling me to pin numbers on the left-hand patch in every row. This made it so much easier not just at the beginning, which is when I thought it would help, but all the way through. I commend this to any other rookie patchworkers - it means that you don't get confused as to the order in which your strips should go together or which way up they should go.