Monday, April 01, 2013

Doting [Gr]Anny



Now this, bloggy friends, is Granddaughter sleeping peacefully under the afghan and woobie so very kindly made for her by Dianne of "A Month of Sundays". Sorry that Granddaughter doesn't look particularly grateful at that moment, but I'm sure she will be once she takes more interest in the world, and we certainly are. Thank you so much, Dianne! And now everyone knows what a woobie is: a security blanket, I suppose we'd call it. It has lots of interesting ribbons round it. The afghan we'd call a shawl, or at least I would. (Like some commenters, I think of an afghan as a sheepskin coat, apparently not long separated from the sheep and not greatly altered from its original state, as worn by hippy types in my youth.)


Today I took Grandson to the Botanic Gardens. He's been there often but mainly, in the past, he's been in the pushchair. He had a lovely time rambling around, as did I. It's so wonderful being a retired granny. When I was a young mum I always had an eye on the clock and needed to rush off to collect someone from school, take someone to a ballet or piano lesson or just go home to clean the house or make a meal. Now, I devote myself to him. He enjoyed walking on the chipped bark...


 ... but then discovered a pile of dead leaves, which provided a lot of fun. I don't suppose he'd ever kicked his way through dead leaves before, because last autumn he wasn't really walking. It's such pure joy to watch him discovering the world and such a luxury to have the time to allow him to do so.



It was chilly, though, as you can see from the jacket, hat and little pink nose.


Then we went home. His speech is coming on fast. He likes to narrate a car journey ("Bus! Car!"), his latest topic being traffic lights, which combine his favourite  interests - vehicles and lights (or dights). We approach a red light and he remarks, "[S]top!" It changes to green: "Go dight!"

And at last - AT LAST!!! - he has given me a name. Mr Life has been Gaga for months. The other granny, Nanny, has been Nan for months also. Daughter 2, whom he sees once a month, he calls by a name which resembles her own. Son, whom he sees even less, gets the first syllable of his name. Goodness me, he even called Niece by her name last weekend and he hadn't seen her since Christmas. But me? - just that anonymous old lady who turns up at his house a lot.

As from today, however, let me present myself: 'Anny. [Bows]

15 comments:

  1. How lovely to meet you, Anny! Gorgeous photographs, as always, you lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anny ( Gr ), you got the better end of the deal I would refuse to be labelled GAGA...here that means you are already passsst your use by date.
    N is a dear wee boy. Little L is looking gorgeous too.
    Love your 3 wee Easter Eggs.
    Someone should have warned you that cats are very avid quilters, who constantly see the need to rearrange pieces.then take a rest lying all over them so you can't get on with it. Adds to the fun!
    Wow Spring really is being mean to you in UK,,,do hope it warms up soon.
    Our new Daughter in Laws, 79 year old Aunt from Somerset is flying home to day. She will notice a difference in temperature. She was swimming in the sea here on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo sweet! Glad you're having fun, Anny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Anny! I'm grandma the other grandma is meema

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anny sounds good.
    I am afraid that I did not give my grandchildren any choice. Plain old Grandma is what I chose to be called, although as the other Melbourne grandmother decided likewise, I had my given name appended. Quite a mouthful for the littlies.
    The baby looks so lovely.
    Apropos of afghans etc, over here a bunny rug was a light, generally synthetic or cotton small blanket for baby to be wrapped in. The rugs/blankets of crocheted squares are known here as Granny rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anny is perfect! (In my case, it would definitely work LOL.) Those babies are both just adorable. I've been thinking I'd like to get on with being a grandma, but you've made me realize it would be best to wait until we're retired. Not that we'll have any say in the timing! Anyway, your retirement timing has worked out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you please ask Grandson if I can join in the pile-of-leaves-kickabout ? Even now I'm the wrong side of 50 or thereabouts I still enjoy it so much.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you please ask Grandson if I can join in the pile-of-leaves-kickabout ? Even now I'm the wrong side of 50 or thereabouts I still enjoy it so much.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to be an Anny....Most of my grandchildren call me Nana but the youngest has begun to call me Nani.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are both adorable, Anny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pleased to meet you, 'Anny. My boy always called my dad 'Orm' and that's what we all came to call him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! I remember my niece calling me George. No idea where that came from. However my SIL stopped it, which really upset me. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I have to say that I think that's a distinguished and highly suitable name :) Still waiting for my GD to name me. But I made her a woobie! Not that I knew I had, because it was called a taggy when I made it, but that would be because they are on the other side of that big pond thingy where they use different names. I believe it's because babies tend to like the silky feel of the tags in garments, so a blankie surrounded by silky ribbon loops became a taggy. I shall make a woobie for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:29 pm

    Oh, just lovely. How nice to be, finally, named.

    I liked learning about the woobie, too. I am a great believer in what I call 'nesting materials', which most blankets qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  15. just a note to Annie about woobies and taggies - they are one and the same, but we cannot call a woobie a taggie because that name was copyrighted by Taggies - a company that never learned the art of sharing ... i tried calling a nursing cover a Hooter Hider and was in deep kimchi for that, too ... some people's children!!!

    i LOVE Anny - my grandkids call me Nona (which should be spelled nonna but we make up spellings and words whenever the mood strikes) ... my nephew used to be married to a woman who called her grandmother "Dick" - which has a totally different meaning in America than it has in the UK, lemmetellya...

    ReplyDelete