Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The times they are a'changing...

 
Tomorrow is Daughter 1's last day of work before having her baby and therefore our last day of being Grandson's childminders for three days a week. This will give us lots of free time. Is this a good thing? Well, it'll be nice not to have to get up at going-to-work time so that we can collect him and it would be quite good not to have to go round the house in the evening, collecting the things he's picked up and carried off to the wrong place; but goodness me, how he lights up our lives.
 
At the moment, he's just a complete joy. As everyone says, the wonderful aspect of being a grandparent is that it's not a 24-hour job. You're not trying to hoover or make meals or do the garden at the same time as chasing a giggling imp around the house - you can just enjoy him and do the boring stuff later.
 
I'm sure that we'll get to borrow Grandson from time to time and indulge ourselves by cuddling him and hearing him laughing. He really does go "Ha-ha-ha!" when he does something intentionally funny. It's a sound that heals the soul.
 
It's hard to believe that in seven weeks or so, he'll be a big brother to Volume 2. I'm a tiny bit sad for him that his days as an only child are running out - I remember feeling the same when Daughter 2 was on the way and Daughter 1 was twenty-one months. He'll only be nineteen months. However, if Volume 2 is anything like as lovely as Daughter 2, I'm sure she'll be a blessing in his life.

4 comments:

  1. Life will certainly be busier, but it is a great blessing to have a sibling, especially these days when families are so small. I bet you will still be in great demand as very important childminders and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you said exactly what I was thinking when I read your post with the new double stroller. I remember feeling exactly the same way when our No. 2 was on the way. My little 2.5 year old still seemed like such a baby and how could I disturb our perfect relationship with another baby? But we all adjusted just fine. I'm so excited for you -- I can't imagine how excited you all must be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This truly is a lovely chapter in your life....precious times.

    ReplyDelete