Sunday, October 28, 2012

Crunching leaves

 
All of a sudden, the trees are looking autumnal. Yesterday Mr Life, Daughter 1, Son-in-Law 1, Grandson and I went for a walk along the River Tyne in Haddington. The air was chilly but lovely, with that autumnal smell of - well, decay, I suppose, but somehow redolent of childhood games and woodsmoke and new beginnings.
 
 
Daughter 2 texted me while we were walking. I wish she could have been with us.
 
 
It seems wrong that we're on to a whole new season that my mother will never know. Of course, she had 90 autumns, so there's not a lot to complain about except... that she would have enjoyed the bright leaves and the sunshine (though not the chill in the air) and deary me, life is too short. This is my 63rd autumn and I wonder sometimes (in my cheerful way) how many more I'll see.
 
And will I live long enough to be able to master properly my current piano piece, an extract from "Swan Lake"? It's not looking like it at the moment. Separate hands, fine. Together... not so much. That rattling noise you hear is Tchaikovsky turning in his grave.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the laugh on the last line! Your Autumn pics are beautiful. Sigh. Though We are getting some lovely cool mornings and evenings, so stiff upper lip....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perseverance! I love the pictures of autumn. Almost all our leaves are on the ground, here. Still there are a few golden yellow trees in leaf yet, white mulberry and gingko.....Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for the colour but something odd is happening. I think the leaves are dropping before they properly turn. Many of the trees are still a dull green. 58 autumns and counting. You are inspiring me to take up the piano again. I just need to find the right spectacles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family walk in the leaves. Lots of leaves are dropping while still green here, but the beeches look so beautiful.

    Good luck with Swan Lake. You are brave to even try....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! A lovely but all-too-brief time of year!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think of it this way. You are more likely to master the music than the dance steps!
    I love Autumn leaves as long as I don't have to pick them all up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please don't say that. How many composers must be turning in their grave every week in this house? Thankfully it is not every day, I suppose, as I'm not the most faithful of practice prompters. Sometimes it's just a fight too far! Much better out scrunching leaves, no matter how many years we'll have therein...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn rules. I prefer them without nerve wracking hurricanes, though. Too bad no one asked me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny! I think Tchaikovsky is probably pretty proud of you. I think I've told you this before, but if you ever discover the two-handed secret, please let me know -- I have exactly the same problem. I know you're missing your Mum -- I hope it will get easier. I've been very sad that Dad missed the fall here too -- you can't really see much from a hospital room. Hopefully though, there will be next autumn for him. XO

    ReplyDelete