Sunday, November 13, 2011

Botanics with Mr Life

Another mild, sunny November day. Presumably it was like this when Keats wrote "Ode to Autumn":
"Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom friend of the maturing sun"
and all that. Another thing that makes me think of Keats is my persistent hacking cough. Anyway, we went to the Botanics, as we often do, and I wondered why I can't grow nerines like the ones above.

This is quite impressive for November, but I don't know what it is. (Anyone?)


This is even more impressive, and a salvia. I sort of knew this but it had a label, which helped. Possibly the other one is a salvia also.


And this one certainly is - again, labelled. Colour does my heart good especially at this time of year.


Mostly, though, the colour was in the trees.


We climbed up the paths on the rockery and looked over at the city skyline.


It was 3.05 pm but see how long our shadows were. Days are short at this time of year, as I said yesterday.

The dishevelled look is so beautiful so long as you're not the person responsible for sweeping up the leaves.

On the road outside, these roses defied gravity and winter to burst over this high wall.

The skyline again, as we looked over Inverleith Park towards the Castle on our way back to the car.


I can't imagine living somewhere where skyscrapery buildings are the norm.


















7 comments:

  1. You have some nice walks. Cities seem to do this far better than small market towns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, can't help with the name of the flower......but the pics are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful walk Mrs. Life! I LOVE the shadow shot with you and Mr. Life -- very romantic. And the shots of the city -- you're so lucky to live in a place that's so beautiful and full of history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Skyscapery buildings' - I do love some of your words! Beautiful photos as always. Having such wonderful scenery to point the camera at helps!
    We have both red and purple Salvia in our garden. Funny to think of the same plants growing in countries on the other side of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a typo in that last comment...the word should be skyscrapery; still chuckling over that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Isabelle - I love your flower photos. One way you can tell if something is a salvia is the squarish stem. Otherwise I can't claim to know what that pretty one is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meraviglioso giardino! Vedo perché vi amo tutti questi salvias. Ho diverse varietà, e sono belle.

    ReplyDelete