Saturday, February 12, 2011

Me and famous footballers

When the young doctor suggested I have a moon boot for my broken ankle, he added, "You know, like the footballers get." At the time, I didn't know, but look - here's a picture of a footballer that even I've heard of (I won't name him in case people Google him and are disappointed to get this) who was recently kitted out with one. It's nice to be at the cutting edge of fashion.

We visited the Burrell Collection in Glasgow today with friends. Glasgow people tend to be (shameless generalisation follows) friendly - more inclined to chat to strangers than Edinburgh people are. It's true that if you stand at a Glasgow bus stop, you're rather likelier to get people's life stories than you are while waiting for an Edinburgh bus. Anyway, as I was clumping down the steps in my trusty moon boot on the way to the café, a cheerful-looking lady stood at the bottom watching my progress, presumably wanting to keep well clear of a woman with a tendency to fall over. As I got to her level, she smiled, looked at my boot and said to me, "Could you not afford a matching pair?"

7 comments:

  1. You've got to love the Glasgow sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha -- what a clever woman! Don't get any ideas though -- we don't want you sporting one on the other foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good one.
    Love the Burrell - I make a point of going there every time I am in Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for that little post, very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh , don't ! Now you've made me homesick .... and I haven't lived there since I was ten .
    (I'm glad you mentioned that it was "a footballer" in your photo . I thought it was Prince Harry ... must be the uncomfortable-in-a-suit thing .)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only know one person from Glasgow...and she is a hoot alright!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And your response should have been, "Well I could have done, but it's a bugger to find a matching bag."

    ReplyDelete